VILLA S.ANDREA - Description
Villa S. Andrea is situated on the top of a hill near Montefiridolfi, part of the municipality of San Casciano in Val di Pesa. San Casciano belongs to the Chianti Classico area, in the heart of Tuscany, 16 km from Florence and 40 km from Siena. The farm offers the possibility to pass a marvellous holiday in the apartments of the 3 farmhouses or in the rooms of the Villa that are part of the property.
The center of the farm is the antique hamlet Fabbrica, composed of the Villa, a little church, wine cellar, oil mill and some other rural buildings. The name Fabbrica originates from the Latin word Faber meaning smith. It has actually been proven that the ancient Romans manufactured in this place some of their weapons. The current Villa was rebuilt on the ruins of a 11th century medieval castle which once belonged to the Buondelmontis, an aristocratic family from Florence.
The castle built by the Buondelmontis dominated and controlled some of the most popular ways of the region. In the subsequent divisions of the family the castle passed in the hands of the Scolari family (16th century). It was again inherited by the Buondelmontis some years later and it remained part of their many properties until the extinction of the family, at the beginning of the 19th century. In the years after, the estate belonged to various important Tuscan families such as the Rinuccini, the Corsini and the Piatti dal Pozzo. In 1946 the property was inherited by the Vicini family, the current owner of the estate.
The Castle was surrounded by defensive walls. Inside the walls there was the elegant house of the owners, some other rural buildings used for storage and the church.
In the middle of the beautiful hilly landscape studded with villas and castles, the Farm Villa S. Andrea extends over approximately 600 ha.
Tel.: +39 055 82 44 254 Fax: +39 055 82 44 255